Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Southern Comfort

via


I have gone back to an old habit lately. Lightening up some of my favorite foods. 
With the colder temps, I came home craving one of my childhood favorite comfort foods...Beans and Franks.
I think everyone knows how to make this uber simple recipe, but here's what I do to lighten it up, lesson the fat, and sodium. 


For my simple recipe you'll need:
1 pk Oscar Meyer's 98% Fat Free Weiners
3 28oz cans of Pinto Beans (these are fully cooked canned beans)
4 table spoons of your favorite BBQ sauce ( I use Bull's Eye)
2 table spoons of ketchup


Slice the franks into bite size pieces, then spray your skillet with cooking spray, saute the bite size franks until they get a nice color. 
I like mine to have a bit of char to them. Set aside.
Drain all but half of the liquid from one can of beans and set aside. Next drain and rinse the other two cans. Add  all 3 cans into a skillet, with your bbq sauce and ketchup, and heat.
 When they are nearly hot, add your franks, let simmer for a few minutes and you're done! Enjoy, this nearly fat free meal, filling, comforting, and super economical!

10 comments:

  1. Looks delicous....your recipe sounds so yummy too! I will have to try it :o)
    ~Des

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEANS AND FRANKS - One of my all time favs and I haven't had in years. Think I might have to put this on the menu for this weekend!!! Thanks and hope you enjoy your weekend - Jalon

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am making these this weekend!! My kids will love this! Xo ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brings back great memories. I have to make it! Thanks!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Wonderful :)
    Thank You for the tips :)
    and do not miss.....

    S
    A
    T
    U
    R
    D
    A
    Y

    S
    H
    O
    W

    O
    F
    F

    Last week it was 106 lovley Blogs
    It is Fun :)
    WELCOME
    Håkan ( The Roseman)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmm! mmmmm! mmmmm! That looks so good! Definitely comfort food. :) Thanks for the easy peasy recipe!! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. How delish! Yummy and not too hard either! Thanks for a great idea! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum! I've not seen this recipe or thought of it. But it sounds delish! Going to have to try it.
    Come check out my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me of a guilty pleasure from my childhood. Do you remember Beanie Weenies? My grandma used o feed us that all the time. Of course, this looks WAY better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to try this with Great Northern beans instead of pinto. I might also use some type of steak instead of the franks. I'll probably leave the steak whole. Then I figure, why bother with the beans at all, so I'll just have a nice steak.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and read each and every comment, which are greatly appreciated :)