Monday, November 21, 2011

Downtown Brown

What's not to love about Brown Transfer ware? 

It's Earthy, yet soft, feminine, antique-ish. (yes I know that's not a word, I've had the flu, twice in two weeks, so I'm entitled to make up a word;)
Between coughing my lungs up, I managed to get to a few yard sales yesterday and picked up a sweet little bundle of Brown antique transfer ware.
The pattern can be seen in the largest plate in my table setting.

For Sunday dinner I cooked up something tasty. I miss Sunday Family Dinners. Realizing, we are (just the two of us) a family, I am carrying on the tradition. After all the first family was made up of only two people ;)

We will be inviting guests over from time to time though. We love company.
 As you can see, our flowers, one week old today, still hangin' in there with a little tlc from Moi'
A vintage jello mold (i won here) holds course salt and lime to add flavor to dinner.

 A Dollar store floor cloth (looking suspiciously like expensive antique grain sack) stands in as a place mat. (don't worry, it's never been on the floor;)



Here's a little secret about myself...I cannot take photos of table scapes. It's very hard!

I can't seem to get the right angle. If anyone has any tips and would like to share them with me, I'm open. 
Oh you want to know the cost of my little dishes? Just $4 for a set of: 4 dinner plates, two bowls, one cup and matching saucer, and two cake plates. Not bad, considering it's hard to find, and very pricey in the shops.

I have one little tip for all of you, have you tried this product?

It's amaaaaazing! I made chicken fajitas tonight and used this seasoning, it smelled and tasted like restaurant sizzling skillets of deliciousness! I highly recommend it. I picked it up at World Market. 
For my recipe: I simply baked chicken breast in the oven, seasoned them with salt, pepper, and cumin.
Then sliced thinly and added to my skillet of onions, and red and green bell peppers I sauteed in olive oil. Then in the last five minutes of cooking, add the seasoning, and cook for a few more minutes. It's that simple.
We served it with rice and beans, and garnished with avocado, cilantro, and lime. 
Have a great week, tami

Links:
Between Naps On The Porch
Coastal Charm  
Faded Charm 
A Beach Cottage 

32 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the transferware...it is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That really is beautiful! Had never heard of it before but I can see the allure!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely dishes and such a bargain. The family roast is lovely even for 2. I alway say two's a party. But I know what you mean about entertaining I love company too!

    Good luck with the linen cupboard makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bargain! Lovely dishes. Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. brown transfer ... makes me' heart beat faster

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky duck! I almost never see brown transferware, especially not bargains like that. But I really need to know this. Which dollar store has the floor cloths like that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You lucky girl on that transferware! I've been looking for some myself. Sorry you've been sick. I was coughing up my lungs just a few weeks ago. Ain't fun!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the new brown pattern. And thanks for the tip, I really enjoy trying new blends of spices and that sounds so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be still my beating heart- I love brown transferware!
    Kerry at HouseTalkN

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love transferware, any color. amnd yours are beautiful! Lovely presentation too!....Christine

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really scored on those dishes! They are so pretty. I will have to look for that sauce. Fajitas are my favorite! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Floor clths? How cool is that!!!! Beautiful transferware.

    Blessings,
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I'm loving your brown transfer ware, so pretty! I currently just bought some brown vintage english tea cups.
    My family is in for a treat tomorrow because now I'm in the mood to make your fajitas! Thanks for sharing!
    hugs, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  15. The combination of the white with the brown details is beautiful.
    In fact, your whole blog is beautiful: we've subscribed.

    And the flu TWICE in two weeks? You poor thing - get well soon.

    The Relics Team

    ReplyDelete
  16. WHAAAAAAAAA? Okay this is a steal!

    And the floor cloth looks quite stunning. Just because it is a floor cloth doesn't mean its use is limited to floors only. I bought kitchen wipes that looks exactly like antique frencg linen. Hah!No wonder they are becoming cushions.

    Love your dinnerware.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, those are pretty! I can't believe you only paid four dollars, what a find. I have a few brown transferware plates that I really love. Hope you have a good week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous! Love brown transferware. Very genius with the floor cloth!
    Enjoy the Thanksgiving holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love brown transferware too, one of my fav colors for it! Yours is gorgeous and what a find. Happy Thanksgiving. FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi dear friend! How are you? I LOVE your brown transferware - I have a hard time finding ones that I like, and I just LOVE yours! And $4.00 for your plates??? LUCKY you! And I hope you feel better! Something must be going around - both of my boys are sick too! Take care and Happy Holidays!


    Hugs,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Terrific find. Can't beat the price. I adore brown transferware, but never see it at the thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  22. YUMM... DROOL!!!

    What a great post? I guess, I will start collecting brown dishes... BUT, b4 that, you may come and visit me in Sweden and hope you like and ENJOY!

    WeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

    Greetings from a dark city of Stockholm,
    /Chie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am really loving these pieces lately!
    You have some pretty ones!
    LOVE your new header!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The dishes are wonderful and I saw two pieces of this at Goodwill this week and let it go. Now kicking self.

    ReplyDelete
  25. TY for dropping by...

    I guess, you missed the video, girl?

    Pls come back again and watch the video for a surprise.

    Keep me posted, k?

    ENjoy...
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love those floor cloths, I bought some the other day because i loved the texture. They look super on the table! I wish I'd have thought of that.
    Your transfer ware is gorgeous and I think you got a real bargain at that.
    Your pics looks beautiful. I love the last teacup one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I adore that dinnerware! What a bargain too! X

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOve the brown too! Those floor cloths? are so cool! They do look vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great find, I really like the brown transferware, perfect for this time of year! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Pam ... that brown transferware is beautiful as well as your tablescape. Such a 'steal' for the Brown transferware.I have been trying to add to my small collection and did a post with what little bit that I have. Thanks for the tip on the Dollar Store floor cloth. I am a new blogger and hope you will come visit me.
    Hope your Thanksgiving was very special. http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/2011/11/brown-transferware-bleach-bottle.html
    Blessings. Audrey Z

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Pam, I am a new Follower to your beautiful blog! I LOVE brown transferware!! I have just ordered a piece off an Etsy shop from the USA. your blog is just lovely and I am looking forward to reading more. Kind regards, Ann ~ Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oooo! You know how much I love brown transferware!!!

    And those floor cloths! I think I better go check out the dollar store, for sure!

    What do you mean you can't take photos of tabletop?? You did swell!

    Hope you are feeling much better by now......

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and read each and every comment, which are greatly appreciated :)