Friday, April 8, 2011

Caution


Hello Friends, just a quick post to send out a warning about a site that is being sent out through emails. I was sent an email telling me someone tagged High Street Cottage in a photo, and when I went to see, it latched onto my emails and started inviting all my contacts, even though I had not given permission or signed up to join their site. It's called Shoppybag. 
If you receive an email from them my suggestion is to delete it, do not click the link. Thank you Marcy from Antique Chase for helping me figure this one out.

Here's some more info about it that I found online


"YOU CONSENT TO RECEIVE COMMERCIAL E-MAIL MESSAGES FROM SHOPPYBAG AND ITS AFFILIATES, AND ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESSES AND OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION MAY BE USED BY SHOPPYBAG FOR THE PURPOSE OF INITIATING COMMERCIAL E-MAIL MESSAGES."
  • GMail users who sign up will find that a script has taken permision to use their account, and that their contacts have been sent emails claiming that has "tagged you with a! photo on ShoppyBag". They have to sign up to see the photo, thus spreading the spam. If this happens, the user can stop this by disabling third-party access to shoppybag.com.
I went back to their site, and clicked delete account, and the emails stopped, even though I never signed up, I think though by clicking on to see the photo you're in effect signing up to their spam site. I apologize to anyone who's been inconvienanced by this. Thanks tami

 

19 comments:

  1. Grazie dell'avvertimento,Rosetta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great - I already clicked this. Wonder what will happen...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How scary! I haven't received an email from them yet, but I will be on the lookout for it. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks for the info. This email stuff is getting scary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL I was just getting ready to email you or post about this because it too me forever to sign-up and then it gave me this huge runaround, wanting more and more info and I kept thinking, "What the heck is in her Shoppybag? I could hack into the pentagon quicker than this....)

    Thanks for the post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the warning!;) Rachel

    French Farmhouse 425

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the "heads up" about this spam stuff. Have a wonderful weekend:o)
    Cheers,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tami,
    I have received these e-mails, but I have not click the button to view the pic. I have also received a e-mail today from another blog friend about this ordeal...thanks for info!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just got the email today... it seemed innocent because it supposedly came from someone i know, but thanks for the headsup! I'll stay away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got sucked into it last night after because it looked like it come from someone I know too. I was only sent one email, but apparently it sent three to another blog friend from me, which I knew nothing about. Thanks for posting about it.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing Tami. I have gotten emails from Shoppy bag before but haven't checked them out. They look just like regular emails too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen the emails yet but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Thanks so much for the warning~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tami, I have an unopened email from them right now. Thanks for the info!
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got the thing, too....

    But I guess for once I am glad my computer is being slow and ornery lately---when I clicked on it, it took so long to open that I gave up and deleted it!

    HA!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the heads up on this. I received an email from them this morning and immediately deleted it. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Tami, I hope that wasn't from me, so sorry if it was, I did the same thing but deleted everything as well. Ugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have gotten alot of these and have never opened the pic....but I did go in and unsubscribe....hope that stops it!!! Thanks for giving us scoop on this!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Remember to mark all such emails as spam, this will prevent other people from getting them.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and read each and every comment, which are greatly appreciated :)