Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Working with Florals Parte Una

Many of you have asked about my lovely laundry basket seen here
I purchased it from Target nearly 10 years ago. It's fabric cover is a Waverly print.



I have loved Waverly fabrics for many years. When we moved here to this city 15 years ago, I had the most lovely Waverly pillow on my garden floral sofa, and I became a fan ever since. I have noticed the new fabrics are not quiet as "cottagy" as they used to be. But trends change very often. I have used florals in home since I moved out of my parents home in 1979, yep that's right! I'm 50 in case you're all wondering. My very first sofa was a floral. I'm careful though choosing patterns and I'll be showing you some fabrics and a slipcover on one of my chairs very soon. When it comes to florals it's important to choose colors you like best. If you're a blue person, or pink stick to those, remember you'll be seeing them every day for a long while. Most of my floral patterns have bits of reds as it's my favorite color. I also make sure the fabric is a simple cotton. Not shiny, and not any of the sort of 80's style double printed patterns, meaning not those that are a floral then a beigie, flowered pattern over that one.
I choose simple, cotton chintz types. It's just what I prefer. Also with pillows I do spend a bit more to have feather downs. They hold up, literally forever. So you don't have that smashed look once they've been around a number of years. Stay tuned for parte duo, 'till then, xoxo tami
I'm linking up to the every so lovely Kathleen over at Faded Charm
And to the Rose Man's Saturday Show Off

22 comments:

  1. One of mine favorite patterns, thank you for sharing. nice to see you at Mammabellarte

    ReplyDelete
  2. really pretty! i love your vintage tub with the pillows...can't wait to see your part two! xoxo
    ~tracie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The pillows are on your sofa are very pretty....Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your gorgeous floral pillows! So lovely and romantic. Thanks for sharing!
    Kim:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just love Waverly as well... I have drapes and pillows and lovely fabrics set aside that are Waverly. Just beautiful. You know I love that bin with your pillows!! It was one of my first few highlights from Feathered Nest Friday! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must agree Waverly produces so many wonderful fabrics. I purchased 2 sofas and curtains and when I went to check on their branding both were produced by Waverly- I am a fan! Looks like you are too. Thank you for stopping by my blog today :) I will enjoy following you.
    Cheers
    Aubrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be still my heart! This is simply stunning!
    I love your blog!

    Jane
    Flora Doora

    ReplyDelete
  8. chic,simple and fabulous!!! fabulous decor too!
    love,love,love your blog!
    hugs
    Lila

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm new here but...I'll be back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanted to follow but....can't find your FOLLOW ME.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pillows in the white tub...I always think florals look so nice when paired with stripes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are really great tips for choosing florals. There's a whole world of ugly fabrics out there and I'm a bit nervous of choosing the wrong ones. I can't find Waverley over here so I'm going to have a good browse around and see what else I can find. Thank you!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too still love the florals. I just can't help it no matter how hard I try to break the relationship! Your picture and title drew me in... I found you via White Wednesdays. Maybe you can stop by my blog sometime. I'm going to follow you, if you feel so inclined - maybe you can follow me back ;)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have all ways been drawn to that Waverly print even if things have gone geo a bit!..I have vintage floral toss cushions in my family room aaling with a few "newer" ones I love the look but am sure its a design nono!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I popped over to see the Waverly lining in your laundry basket and yes...it is as I suspected...still love that print and have slipcovers and pillows...probably from Target...up at the lake house. I still like florals too!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tami, I have also been a long time fan of Waverly florals. All of your pillows are wonderful and I love the tub.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that Waverly print- it is called Norfolk Rose and I wish Target still carried that line. But they don't.
    thanks for such a great post.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Waverly is one of my favorites also. I used to have it a lot more at my last house where it was used in my curtains in the living room, kitchen and office. Oh, and I have a Waverly Christmas tablecloth that is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, everything is just more spirited with a bit of red, don't you think? It just jolts me right back to life.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello to you, your roses on the pillows are lovely. Many warm hugs to you / Ingela

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi. Stopping by to wish you a Merry Christmas!
    I look forward to getting to know you this year. I also love Waverly and floral patterns,
    and, of course, toile.
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, I LOVE that white tub in the last picture. I'm new here but love what I see. I have a couple tubs like that and may consider painting them! The florals are timeless, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and read each and every comment, which are greatly appreciated :)